Paralegals in this Section answer phone lines and are careful not to communicate in a fashion that would warrant the caller to infer an attorney-client relationship has been created. Therefore, temps answering the phone simply:
- assist with the matter if possible,
- direct the individual to the Expungement website and/or email,
- take messages for ISP personnel, or
- direct the call to the appropriate ISP department.
- Pick up mail from the mailroom and give it to the Legal Office Paralegal.
- Review Court ordered expungements and correlate the information with the criminal data located in the Criminal History Records Information System (CHRIS), identify the cause numbers to be expunged, and address the record in accordance with Indiana Code, generally referenced in the Expungement Order, and ISP procedures.
- Conduct factual research, liaison among various internal departments and outside agencies (i.e. Courts, FBI), prepare and organize documents and coordinate productions.